Connecting Raven with USB C
Raven and USB-C/Thunderbolt 3
- What is the difference between USB-C and Thunderbolt 3?
USB-C (also known as USB Type-C) is a connection system that can be used across PC, Mac, Linux, and mobile devices and can be used to transfer Data and/or Video, as well as power.
Thunderbolt 3 is a hardware interface developed by Apple and Intel to handle multiple protocols over one single connection. It uses a USB-C connection.
In simple terms, USB-C is the connection type, and Thunderbolt is a type of USB-C connection. It is important to understand that not all USB-C connections, ports, or cables support Thunderbolt 3 technology. Usually, any connection that supports Thunderbolt will be branded with the thunderbolt logo as seen below.
note: Apple does not always include the thunderbolt icon on its new computers
- Will the Raven’s display work with a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 Adapter/Cable?
Yes, a Raven will work with a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter or with a HDMI to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 cable as long as your computer supports an external display.
We recommend using:
- Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter)
- CHOETECH USB C to HDMI Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Resolution-Incompatible/dp/B01M6C49X2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500412801&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+c+to+hdmi
- CHOTECH USB C to HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Compatible-Galaxy-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B01LYS3Q5A/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500412801&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+c+to+hdmi
- Can I Run both the HDMI and USB connection of my Raven out of one USB-c or Thunderbolt port?
Yes! Provided you have the right adapter, a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port should have the capacity to handle both protocols at the same time.
- OWC also makes a Thunderbolt 3 dock which can add extra ports: https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock
- Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b&fs=f%3Dhdmi%26fh%3D4595%252B3058 for Mac
- CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-TS3-Plus-Thunderbolt-Dock/dp/B07CZN5TS5
- Can I run 2 Ravens out of one USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 connection?
No, although Thunderbolt 3 has the capability to be used for 2 separate HD displays, doing so can max out the bit rate capacity of the connection without leaving enough room for both of the USB 2.0 touch connections. If your computer has two Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C connections available, you could run each Raven out of its own Connection with both the HDMI and USB connection, provided you have the correct adapters.
It is also important to know whether the video card of your computer can handle two displays. If your video card does not support two monitors, you will not be able to use a dual Raven setup.